"Can I just rent your gear?"
Ask these questions before hiring your next teleprompt operator...
- Do they teleprompt full time, or is it a side-hustle with an iPad they just happen to own?
- Does their program have proper speed control, or does talent have to match the one speed they set on their app?
- Can they make quick, remote script changes, or is valuable shoot time lost to their clunky iPad workflow?
- Do they have multiple displays for different scenarios, or are you stuck with their single prompter size?
- Do they bring backup equipment, or are you S.O.L. if (and when) there are problems?
- Do they use high-brightness displays, which are MUCH more expensive, but much easier to read?
- Do they use pro software like TeleScript AV™, which is MUCH more expensive than an app, but much more reliable?
Tips before trying to do it yourself...
- Our clients know the cost difference between renting vs hiring a pro is minimal. Comparable rental gear starts at around $350/day. That's one system, no backup and you still have to make it all work! Here's a handy "D.I.Y. Checklist":
- Source rental house/gear
- Hope gear is in good condition
- Pick up/return before/after job
- Hope it works with your set up
- Learn hardware & software
- Hire someone to run prompter
- Not having backup if gear fails!
I've since worked with Al numerous times and every time I'm so grateful that I found him. His ability, professionalism and overall demeanour is such an asset on any set, big or small. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend ARprompt to anyone who wants the comfort of knowing that their teleprompter will always be top notch as well as a pleasure to work with.